Untamed New England Expedition Race Overview
More an adventure than a race
Untamed New England is a non-stop race across 250+ miles of New England's wilderness.
With mysterious forests, pristine waterways, and towering mountain summits New England is adventure racing country.
Teams have up to 4 days to complete the rugged course. Using topographic maps showing "checkpoints" that
must be visited in sequence, teams progress from one checkpoint to another by hiking, paddling, mountain biking,
orienteering, and more. The precise route a team travels between checkpoints is largely up to each
team, making this a significant strategic challenge as well as a physical one.
The Untamed New England race organization manages all necessary equipment for teams along the course. Pre-race, teams give
gear bins and mountain bikes to race staff for staging at agreed to locations.
Historically about 20% of race teams complete a full Untamed New England race course. The remaining teams
are directed onto a shorter route if they fall too far behind time estimates for a finish within the allotted 4 days.
Crossing the Untamed New England finish line in any capacity, full course or short course, is a phenomenal accomplishment!
- Race Dates: Tues, July 24th to Sun, July 29th 2018
- Race Distance: 250 miles (approximately)
- Course Summary: a rugged wilderness course of trekking, paddling, mountain biking, using map & compass to navigate the route
(see Race Disciplines section for details)
- Winning Duration: 3 days expected for winning team
- Team Format: teams of 2, 3, & 4 people race together (not a relay)
- Support Crews: not permitted (race organization provides all logistical support such as kayaks, gear bin staging, etc)
- Prizes: to be determined
- Prize Divisions: Premier (4-person coed teams) & Open (teams not 4-person coed)
- Race registration: opens 8 AM Eastern time on June 1st, 2017.
- Race host location: Durham, New Hampshire venue details